Sunday, February 24, 2013

Writing, Doing, Achieving (or) Goals (or) Just Do It


I’m working on my first novel, that’s true. I’m even writing a little bit almost every day, or night – which is my current goal. Goals are important, especially in writing. I feel that if I don’t set goals for myself there won’t be anything to accomplish, nothing to strive for. Having nothing to strive for seems like a very bad idea. Read on while I begin, not only to make valid points but also to make sense…

Each year in my writer’s chapter we write our writing goals for the year to come on a piece of paper. We then place the paper in an envelope, seal it and “turn it in” to be looked at when the next January’s frost hangs thick in the air. This was my first year writing those goals and so far I have not completely accomplished what I set out to do. I remember writing that I hoped to blog once a week and tweet once a week plus have the first draft of my novel completed. But I am making those goals in small strides. Always biting off much more than I can chew I have a full time job (overtime actually as I run my own business), I have another part time job, I am writing my novel, reading novels and studying, trying to blog and tweet (I have 3 active blogs and 6 active twitter accounts) and I have a regular, yet a little crazy exercise program as well as relationships to maintain. Forget about eating, sleeping or cleaning house - there is absolutely no time to fit in those mundane aspects of life.

The one constant, throughout my entire life, that I’ve always returned to over and over and over again is writing. It’s like my warm blanky. I can sit on my couch or lie in my bed and wrap myself up in my computer keyboard and screen. The warm soft glow encroaching on what might otherwise be a sad and lonely existence. When I tap out these letters I can be whomever I want, say whatever I want and reach my little cyberfingers out across the interweb, knowing not whose warm and wet eyeballs will find them.

I don’t mind that I’m an overachiever who wakes up each and every morning, rolls out of her bed with her puppy and kitty at her side, each begging for attention; stumbles into the kitchen to start the hot water for the coffee press; jumps into the shower and then goes until very very late at night when she collapses like a folding chair into the bed once again.

I don’t mind that in between the time I awake and the time I sleep there are thoughts brewing in my consciousness like bacon sizzling on a hot griddle. Sometimes they’re ripe for the picking, or crisp enough for the journey from skillet to plate to mouth and other times they are just beyond the edges of rapture, missing their goal like a poor lip synch in an old poorly dubbed kung fu flick.

At times, what matters the most is just doing it. Sure if you do it you should do it well BUT if you don’t do it all can the ideas become realities? The answer is no. No bounty was never harvested without the seeds first being planted. No best picture was ever won without the screenplay having been written.

So there you have it, my crazy advice that seems to lead directly to adrenal fatigue. Make those goals and keep them. Make those dreams become a reality. The only one stopping you is me, seriously though – it’s you – but if blaming me will get you off your ass, then by all means go right ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment