Friday, December 20, 2013

Reading...

If you’re a writer, chances are good that you’re also a reader. If you’re a writer who doesn’t read… this is like when you’re doing improv and instead of your partner saying “yes and” they say “no”. The buck stops here. Insert the screeching sound of a needle on a record player for those of you young enough to remember turntables.

I am a voracious reader. I read every single day. I read fiction and I read non-fiction. The reason I’m writing on this blog topic is to motivate. Maybe that’s the goal of all of my blog topics. They do say each author has one motivation/story that she/he tells over and over in every book. My character’s motivation is the same in my 2 novels, though they are very different characters. My “motivation” in each of my blog entries has been the same = motivation. I guess what they say is true. It’s how you arrive at it that’s different and isn’t the journey the key, not the destination?

In order to write a specific genre you must read that specific genre. Simple yes and true. If you’re a sci-fi writer, you need to read sci-fi. If you’re a mystery writer, you need to read mysteries. Every successful author will also tell you to write what moves you, not what you think may sell. That is sage advice as well. If you write for a specific market or trend that’s not really what you’re interested in: 1. It will show and your voice and passion will be flat. 2. By the time you’re ready to publish, the trend will have changed. 3. Every other wanna-be author has already tried to break in to that “hot new trend” and now the market is overly saturated with say: “the next 50 shades” and no agent or publisher or reader (if you’re self published) wants to read book #256 with the exact same premise as book #255.

Write what you know, read what you love - but the key words here are “write” and “read”. You don’t have time to read but you want to be a writer? Make time. Stop watching TV and read instead. Whatever it takes or it’ll never happen. Once it becomes a habit you won’t be able to stop. I’ve been reading before sleep for more years than I can remember and now I can’t, or don’t want to, sleep without doing it. Personally I change genres. I love reading a few different ones so I skip around. From sci-fi to fantasy to chicklit to regency and more. I also get CDs of books at the library and listen to books while I drive. Thus I am always “reading” at least 2 fiction books at a time.

I also read writing books, I love reading books on “how to write”, “what to write”, “when to write”, “why to write”. I have a list of my favorites which I may copy down and post here sometime. These books are not only motivators to write, they contain practical, useful knowledge. Chances are if you’re reading this blog now, you’re a reader as well as a writer, which is wonderful! Now go out and change the world (in a good way)!

No comments:

Post a Comment