Sunday, December 29, 2013

Listening With Writer’s Ears On

by Raina Schell

I’ve been reading a lot of books on “how to write” lately. Books about publishing, editing, outlining – you name it. I enjoy reading other writer’s processes, I really do.

Last week I spent time with my family and an old friend. They were both crazy in different ways and I’m talking – certifiably insane, or at least my old friend L is. I kept thinking “this is a good character study” in order to make it through the week. On some level I’m sure that’s the truth but on the level of protecting my own sanity it was the excuse I came up with in order to participate in the hell that was their lives.

I found myself approaching listening in a new and different way. I began to really listen, to absorb not judge and not have to insert my experiences. I listened to get ideas for characters, plots and scenes. Instead of thinking “this person is crazy” or “when will they get to the point?” I listened to hear, wanting to file it all away for future writing projects or now as I decided to name it “listening with my writer’s ears on”.

After a particularly juicy tidbit was revealed to me (by a stranger, a friend, family) I wanted to go home and take notes. I wasn’t sure how I would index those notes so thus far I’ve only tried to remember but I can see that note taking would be advantageous. Perhaps in one word (or more likely evernote) file titled “notes while listening with my writer’s ears on”. Then when I need some inspiration for a character or a plot I can look there. It helps to get me through the mundane, crazy and non-engaging moments of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment